Sunday, October 3, 2010

God sure knows how to cheer a person up!

I was a little downhearted about going to work in town today as there are so many things needing doing here at home (garden produce to be put up and apples to be gone through; clothes to be washed and vacation plans to be finalized; meals to prepare and never-ending dishes to do...), but, I put on a smile and walked into the nursing home.

God had several, more-genuine smiles in store for me I was soon to find out!

After clocking in, I went up to the nurses station where a few of my coworkers were visiting, getting ready to listen to report or getting ready to leave for the day. They greeted me and I them, and then one lady said, "So, I hear that you have a good singing voice." I didn't know what to say and tried to figure out how she would have heard about me singing someplace, then looked over and saw my friend at the desk smiling at me. Ah hah! It was then that I realized it was her who had said something to the others, as she had been at Mary's birthday party also yesterday when my family sang together. She said then that she really enjoyed our song and that she could hear me singing and that I had a really nice voice (and yes, Mother, she really liked your song too! :) ).

I was pretty embarrassed(!), but I am human and it is always nice to hear a word of praise! So, that put a real smile on my face.

Then, later in the day, another lady said, "I hear you have a really nice voice..." *Blush again*

At supper, while helping one of my favorite residents, she leaned over and said, "I heard a secret about you today". By this time, I thought I may know what she was going to say, but asked her if it was good or bad. She informed me it was good and then proceeded to say that said she heard that I sing... *Smile again* I assured her (and the others) that I mainly like singing with my family...

I was smiling quite a bit at this point (probably too much, as I accidentally put a residents clothing in the garbage cart and their garbage bag in the clothing cart!). But, that was not the end of it all...

When I went to the nurses' station to wash my hands, the day nurse said to the med-aid, loud enough for me to overhear, "I wish we could clone Cora and make her just a couple years younger. I would really like her for my son, ____. How old are you again, Cora? Oh, 23? He's 20, I guess that's not too much difference in age, but he's probably too wild for your liking." (...And I'm thinking, "If you, being his mother, think he's too wild for me, than I'm sure he is!") Then she went on to tell me a bit about him... I decided then was a good time to be busy and get back to work! :)

One more interesting experience was in store for me... While helping a resident get ready for bed, I was visiting with his wife and somehow we got on the subject of the kinds of things that are in our bedrooms and I told her I have a piano in my room. She asked me if I enjoyed playing and I assured her I do. Then she said that that was great and she was going to tell "Them" there at the nursing home, as they're always looking for someone to play. I quickly told her I'm not all that accomplished on the piano, to which she replied with something like, "God doesn't expect us to be perfect but to share the gifts, however good they are, with those around us." True, true..... And would He give the courage to this quite girl to do the things she's not comfortable doing? Well, He is faithful, that I know. Soooooooooooo, I'm sure He would. I don't know if anything will come of that or not, but it did give me something to think about. :)

I wonder what tomorrow will hold???

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Oh, Cora, that is such a nice post. I'll bet those people just love you there, you with your beautiful smile and attitude. How you must bless them each day. Now... I know what it is like for a quiet girl to have to play piano for people. It took me a long time to get over that fear. But the Lord does help us as I know it is only because of him that I can do it. May He bless you, too.