Saturday, April 30, 2011

S-N-O-W-!

Yes, when I went out to check the cows this afternoon, the misty rain we were having when I walked out the front door quickly turned into huge snowflakes! These cows weren't expecting snow either, obviously, as they weren't over with the rest in the protection of the shelter-belt....


While the wind blasted and blew the snow all over outside of our house, inside we were having a lovely family day. :) Mother and I realized we were wearing similar outfits and asked the guys to take our picture. It doesn't show here as well as in real life, but my skirt does have gold in it, and Mom and I were wearing our matching necklaces even!

Next, we realized that Jacob's shirt also matched our color theme--black and gold! Mom wanted a picture of the 3 of us children together, now that Jacob's taller than I am, so we searched Andrew's closet for something black and gold for him to wear, but all to no avail. So, here he is, looking a bit disappointed that he's "Just" dressed in black and green. :) (We're all a bit blurry in this picture for some reason...? Must have been laughing too hard!)

Of course, we couldn't leave our camera man out of the fun! Here he is, with 3 extra heads. :)
Mother and her little boys...







The following pictures are older, from days gone by.


I received a big package in the mail yesterday (the one bright spot in the day!), and it contained a dream come true for me:


A Kitchen-Aid mixer of my very own! :) :) :) I've wanted to get one for a long time, especially for making smooth icing for my cakes and for whipping cream, etc... Now that our Dimension Bread Maker broke though, I had incentive to go ahead with my plan of "Buying one some day." This is the heaviest duty mixer that Kitchen-Aid makes (with a 6 qt. bowl), so I'm hoping it will be able to handle a full batch of bread, but if not, we'll just knead it in 2 batches I guess. Does anyone else have experience with mixing up bread in a Kitchen-Aid and, if so, how much dough can it handle well at one time??? I made one dessert already with my mixer, following a recipe for Lemon Cream-Cheese Bars that Jacob requested and, those of us who like lemon desserts, really liked how it turned out!

This piece of paper came in the mail the other day and, though it was no surprise to me, it still is nice to see it written down on official paper, don't you think? :)





As I imported the pictures onto Mother's computer today, I found some of the greenhouse that I didn't know we had. This one was taken right after the guys and my mom put the plastic on...


...and this one is of the inside of our greenhouse, right after we finished planting the rest of it. We now have peas, beets, broccoli and lettuce coming up and the plants that I transplanted in the ground are doing well. You can see the door(s) the boys built on the other end of the greenhouse a few days back. Dad designed it so we can either open the 2 foot door for a slight breeze, the 3 foot one for more air, or open both for the best ventilation, depending on the needs of the day.

Here Jacob is assembling the little red tractor planter that we now have sitting out by our mailbox with some tulips planted inside, for the time being.


Oh, and here the guys are testing out their 2 street bikes that they fixed up and are now trying to sell. We don't have much use for motorcycles out here!


The beautiful bouquet Mom bought last week to cheer us up:


And this last picture is of Andrew, getting ready to leave with his grain cleaning rig:



Please join us in praying for all the people who lost their homes and/or loved ones in the recent storms down South farther! Reading about their struggles and losses makes me feel guilty for feeling bad about the loss of a few animals in this weather! There are so many people hurting far more than we are...


I'm going to post this right now and go talk to our Father above! Good night~

5 comments:

The K. Family said...

Enjoy the long post! You'll have to let us know how your green house handles this last bought of cold snowy weather. I've always loved the idea of somewhere I could plant early and leave in late. It's snowing here too.

Dawn Bornemann said...

What a wonderful post, dear Cora!
I love how you share our losses and then how God picks us up afterwards. Sometimes it seems that He is sweeter during the hard times than the easy times. I know that isn't true but how wonderful it is to lean on Him when our hearts are heavy, isn't it?
I agree with you that we ARE richly blessed but I pray that you will not harbor any negative energy towards yourself. PLEASE!
Mom

Miss Linda said...

What a delightful post. I just *loved* all the sweet pictures of your family. Your brothers are SO tall!!! What do you feed them?? LOL!

I have been so sad to read about the sorrow and difficulties your family has experienced lately. I do pray that all this sorrow will soon turn to gladness. "For His anger endureth but a moment; in His favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." (Psalm 30:5)

Laura said...

Dear Miss Cora Beth,

Thank you so much for the sweet post that you left on my blog last evening! It was so nice to hear from you.

Your family pictures are wonderful! The one with your dad is priceless. I'll be you had fun taking them.

Hope your cow is healing well. I was wondering how many dairy cows you had...and do you sell your milk? You've probably mentioned this before...but I haven't had an opportunity to read back further in your blog as of yet. One of these evenings I want to take some time to do this!

I am so excited for you...a kitchen aid mixer! I've been wanting one of those for years. I have an old bread mixer that just won't die...so until it does...I guess I'm stuck with it. Usually I knead my bread by hand anyway...but it sure would be nice to have a kitchen aid! I'm sure that you'll get many happy years from it.

Well, off to the greenhouse. Hope you all are having a wonderful day and that the sun is shining (and no more of that white stuff!)

With love,
Mrs. Laura

Cora Beth said...

K Family~
The greenhouse made it through the windstorm and the snow just fine! It feels like a totally different world in there. :) It truly is a dream come true to have so much space to plant in!!!

Mother B~
Alright, no negative energy harbored. :) God knows what He's doing! Love you!

Miss Linda~

Thank you for your prayers!!!
Oh, my brothers? We feed them a little of this and a little of that and a lot of fresh, raw cows or goats' milk, and nutritious bread, and good veggies, and some not so healthy treats from Sams' club sometimes... :)

Mrs. Laura~
We are now milking 2 cows by hand. We do sell some of the milk, but only sell it as "Pet Food" as selling it for human consumption is illegal in our state, as it is in many states.
:(

I had to laugh when I read about how your old bread mixer just won't die... :) I guess that's a good thing, right? I'm really enjoying my Kitchen Aid so far, although I haven't had a lot of time for experimenting yet.

The sun WAS shining today and most of the white stuff is melted. PTL!!!

Thank you everyone for your comments! May God bless you richly.

Love lots,
~Cora