Thursday, June 9, 2011

A hard night.

It was a difficult night at the nursing home tonight, as one of the residents came back from the hospital to be on comfort cares until he passes away. Although this isn't one of the residents that I'm really attached to, it still is so hard to see someone suffer and to see how altered this man was from when I last saw him about a week ago...... He always looked forward to his birthday and would tell us every day when exactly his birthday was (it's later this month) until we all had it memorized, so I got especially sad when I was in a room doing cares and saw this mans' name marked on that calendar date: "_____'s birthday. I know he won't live to see one more birthday now (unless the Lord has a miracle in mind for him, of course.) I kept praying for him on the way home; praying that he won't have so much pain and that some of his family comes to stay by his side, even if he can't talk anymore or recognize anyone...

It was a hard night. These are the times that I do not like being a CNA!

4 comments:

Miss Linda said...

I'm sure it must have been a very hard night indeed. I don't think I could do what you do, for that very reason. It takes more emotional strength than I possess, I think, to handle such things.

I have no doubt that your presence, and the presence of your colleagues, is a great source of comfort to him. I will add my prayers to your for this man's soul, and for the comfort of his family.

My birthday is less than a month away, so it touched me particularly that this man won't live to see another birthday.

Dawn Bornemann said...

You are such a blessing anywhere you are at, dear Cora. I pray that the sweet Lord will comfort you now.
Mom

Carra said...

I am praying for you and the gentleman Cora, may Jesus bless you and yours, and your willingness to care for people.
All my love.

Rachel Beth said...

Dear Cora

This must be so hard and sad for you, I trust that the Lord will strengthen and comfort you and all the people too that you come into contact with - I'm sure you are a blessing to everyone.

God bless.
Love you,
Rachel