Friday, May 27, 2011

I burned the butter!

But, it was OK, because I wanted it to burn. :) I made mashed potatoes for supper and we all (except Dad) love pouring burnt butter over the top of the spuds. It's something Grandma B. taught us.... Does anyone else do this to their butter or is it just a Bornemann family thing?

This afternoon, I asked Jacob to drive down to the field and get a picture of Dad seeding so I could post it here. When Andrew inquired why I didn't just hop on the 4-wheeler and go take the picture myself, I informed my brothers that I was in the middle of pie making, after which statement, Jacob quickly hopped on the 4-wheeler and said, "Oh, I'll go! I'd do almost anything to get pie." :) He took this picture of Dad, seeding the brown flax (we planted Golden Omega flax earlier in another field). We're praising and praising the Lord that he was able to finish that field and we are now done with seeding, except Dad wants to plant lentils in the former water holes so the weeds don't grow there! We are so happy and tired tonight!

I baked an apple and a blueberry pie this time. I decided to make a lattice top for the blueberry pie, as I'd never done one before but saw a picture of it done on top of a blueberry pie, and now I wonder why I've waited so long to try it as it was really quite simple and the end result looks so homey.

Mother spent her morning finishing up working the field with the vibra-shank. The boys then spent a good part of the day picking rocks.....


I dug out the colorful paint cans from the basement and repainted 3 of the 6 colors on our swing-set boards; the teeter-totter board; and the merry-go-round. The other 3 colors will have to wait for another somewhat still and sunny day.


While the pies were baking, a vehicle containing 3 men drove in the yard, 1 gentleman being our dear hunting friend (he's also the man we rent our pasture from) from the southeast part of the country, Gaylin. As Dad had just finished seeding and the boys were done picking, we were all able to visit for a little while and Mom and I showed Gaylin our greenhouse, which he liked a lot. Gaylin and his friends had come to borrow/rent 2 of our tractors to do some food-plot projects with (they plant crops for the deer and pheasants to eat.) Gaylin said they have a nice sized group of guys here this time and that, if we have any fencing projects that we need help with, be sure to let them know. I wonder if we'll take them up on that offer? I'm sure there's fencing that needs doing before we move the cows up to pasture!


Those were the out-of-the-ordinary things that happened today. Mother, Jacob and I also cleaned the house and prepared a feast and weeded the front flower bed. Oh, and Andrew took the bush-wacker machine around the farm and buzzed off a lot of weeds and grass. It is so good to have him back home again!


.....And now, we are at the end of our work week and are at the beginning of a day of rest and are we ever ready for it!

~Shabbat Shalom---to all my Sabbath keeping friends, and Shalom (peace) to the others. :)

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Sabbat Shalom to you as well. I hope you have a good rest that is made that much better knowing your seeding is finished.

Dawn Bornemann said...

Shabbat Shalom my dear daughter!
How wonderful to be able to rest!!!
Mom

Laura said...

Good Morning Miss Cora,

Your pies look scrumptious! We always look forward to blueberry season here in Maine (it is a VERY big deal here!)and fresh from the oven blueberry pies! I usually pick and freeze several flats of blueberries so that we can enjoy them throughout the winter months.

Blessings to you and your lovely family,
Mrs. Laura

Carra said...

Hey Cora! Wonderful. i love your blog and your farm. May Jesus bless you in your service to Him. And your family too!I've never heard of eating burnt butter. Tell us more about it! Or eating just Mashed Potatoes for supper. Oh, I'd love that. We like to make apple pie for supper sometimes. :)

Anonymous said...

Those pies look very nice and I love the picture you paint of your farm. I love farming...but we have a tiny one. :)
Many prayers and happy farming!

Cora Beth said...

Kimberly~
Thank you! We did have a nice day of rest and I hope you all had the same. :) Sabbaths are so wonderful!

Mother~
Yes, how wonderful it is!!!

Mrs. Laura~
I truly wish we could get blueberries to grow here. I planted a bush and tried starting some from seed, but all to no avail. I do have a tall-tree type of Saskatoon Blueberry that's growing now, so we'll see what that produces!

Carra and April~
Thank you for commenting on my blog! It's always so nice to meet new people--and you're farmers too, and you have goats? :)

Actually, I should have made it more clear in my post, but we did have more to eat for our feast than just mashed potatoes and burnt butter. :) Mother made a nice big meatloaf and I made deviled eggs.... The burnt butter is very easy to make and tastes so delicious on top of spuds. All you do is put some butter in a pan and turn the heat up (medium works well) and after a few minutes, the butter will start bubbling and you just let it bubble for a while until it seperates out a little bit and has little dark specks in it. If you try it, let me know what you think of it! I plan to head over to your blogs and read about your family in the days ahead as I have time, so hopefully you'll be hearing from me there soon. :)

Blessings to you all,
~Cora