Friday, July 3, 2009

A nice Friday--once the morning was over with!

Before I tell you about our day, I thought I'd give you a quick update on Grandpa... I guess the doctors wanted to do more tests today to see if his heart would be strong enough for surgery, and the results came back positive. I think they'll be doing the operation tomorrow sometime, but don't know for sure. My aunt said he had a really bad "Episode" this morning and they were waiting for him to rest up from that. Please continue to pray for him...

Now about our day...

After chores this morning, we came in to a message on the phone that our cows were out AGAIN and that our neighbor was going to try to get them in for us. We children took off right away up to the pasture, but Leo already had the cows in. We thanked him heartily, he left, and then we commenced to fix the fence and to string up electric wire. There was one place that we had to go through some water, and as Andrew only had his work boots on, Jacob & I got drafted to go in the water with our tall rubber boots on and pound the clips into the wooden posts and string the wire. It worked well and we didn't even get wet feet. That had better hold them now, as I don't know what else we could do. We can't figure why the cows want to keep breaking out, as they have a lot of grass and water in that cell yet, but they just have adventurous spirits, I guess. Hopefully they'll be shocked to find out that we don't think much of their idea of fun!

My dad spent most of the day cultivating the sunflowers and baling when he could. Andrew swathed over on Fern's land until it rained too much for him to continue. The rest of us worked on cleaning the house and preparing supper.

We had a friend come around 5:00 and he brought us the Sonic Bloom kit Mother had ordered. We're really excited to try it out in the garden (you can read about it here: http://www.originalsonicbloom.com/) as Mom read about S.B. many years ago and wanted to try it, but just never did. Then, she got to see our friends' unit at Prairie Days and was sold on it. :) The sounds that benefit the garden remind me of crickets chirping, and could get a little annoying by themselves, but the guy who came up with this product put the sounds with beautiful Classical music, so it will be a pleasure to listen to it now! I'll do my best to keep you up to date on the progress in our garden. I wonder how big it will make the Hubbard squash?

Our friend (whom, I think, wishes to remain anonymous :) stayed for supper and chores and then we visited for a long time, so it was about 11:30 when he left for his home. We said a prayer for his safety and are now heading for bed... It was nice having you here___ ...oops, I almost said your name!

No comments: