Thursday, July 21, 2011

To fix or not to fix, that is the question!

My dad pointed out to me this morning that the plastic on the greenhouse roof had torn again, in 2 places this time. We're trying to decide now whether to try and fix it again, or just take the plastic down. It may be best to just take it down for now, as the temps. inside are quite hot these days the way it is. I had hoped to leave it up to keep the bugs away from our vegetables, but I think the plastic is just getting too brittle in all the warm sunshine and will probably just keep tearing if we try to paste it back together again....

Mother and I spent the morning in the garden (after chores were done, that is). Dad and Andrew cut down and put up hay again, while Jacob worked around the farm here. I worked at the nursing home again this afternoon/evening. I was sad to learn that one of the residents had passed away early this morning. He was not doing well last night when I helped care for him, but I had not expected him to be gone so soon.... This man was the father of Helen, (I help her at her Daycare occasionally), so I was glad to be able to give her a hug last night when all the family was gathered there.... Working at a nursing home has often reminded me that life is precious! We never know when it will be our turn to go, so we must be ready (and help others to be ready).

It was a very busy night at the nursing home and my head is aching still. There was a nice musical program put on by a mens' quartet from Eureka, SD at 7:00 this evening, so we CNAs (and the activity people) had to be sure and have everyone fed; taken to the bathroom; and out at the patio by that time. Then, as the program lasted an hour, there was a huge rush afterwards to get everyone back to their rooms; given their snacks; taken to the bathroom again as needed; and get them to bed by 10:30, which we did with a lot of teamwork and a good portion of God's grace! The residents really enjoyed getting outside and listening to the music, for which we were glad, but it did result in being an extra stressful night for those of us in charge of making sure everyone got to the right place at the right time, safely!

It is lovely out tonight. I decided to wait to open my windows though until I'm done posting here so I don't get invaded by bugs again. :)

Have a good Friday everyone! I keep meaning to try a different way of loading my pictures onto my computer (or onto someone elses' computer), but when I'm busy with other things, I'm not thinking about posting pictures, so forget. I hope to remember soon. ;)

~God be with you~

1 comment:

Carra said...

Dear Cora,
That's sad about the plastic on ya'll's green house. :( Here though, the green house would probably kill the plants, because it would make it hotter, and they are already suffering from the heat!

I'm praying for you working at the nursing home. I know it is a hard job. thank you for being a light to the folks there.

May you be blessed, and have a good day today - you and all of your family.
Love your southern friend ;) Carra