Friday, September 21, 2012

I picked the last rose of Summer...


The guys said they heard it's supposed to freeze hard tonight and tomorrow night, so Mom and I picked several things from the garden and got our onions in from the deck (and I hauled in my dwarf fruit trees too), and covered some.  We're also running the sprinkler all night on the tomatoes and peppers, so hopefully that will keep the frost off.  It's worked in the past....

It was a busy day, as I thought it would be and yes, we did all wake up this morning (thank you Lord!) .  :)  My dad hauled 2 loads of wheat up to Harvey and got paid right away.  Yay!  My mom and Jacob dug a bunch of potatoes and got them boiling for potato salad that we're taking along tomorrow to Harvest of Thanks at Alfred.  My mom also washed the inside of the Pacifica and Jacob pressure-washed the outside, then Mom scrubbed it down some more.  When I got home around 5:30 from babysitting, I boiled some eggs to go in the potato salad and then helped Mom and Jacob get the sides on the white truck so it can be used to haul/hold grain.  We did it wrong the first time, so had to take the sides off again and switch them around.  Oops.  I also made a new recipe called "Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars" and, once you get them out of the pan, they are very good.  I made a large pan to take along tomorrow (don't worry....I'll take them out of the pan before taking them) and we nearly finished off the small pan for supper.   Andrew was busy from early this morning until late tonight, combining for that farmer.  He actually had planned to be home an hour earlier than he was, but the clock in the combine was set an hour slow, so he didn't realize how late it was actually getting!  We had a very late supper.....    That gave my mom and I a chance to practice the piano duet we plan to play tomorrow though.   

I'd better get some sleep. 

2 comments:

Carra said...

Are you serious? Freezing? Already? Yikes...
Praying for you Cora. Love you dear friend. Sorry I don't comment much any more... I haven't a lot of time on here any more.
May Jesus bless you!

Anonymous said...

I know how that is, Carra! :) Thanks for leaving me a comment now though... Yes, the average first frost date in North Dakota is September 15th, meaning sometimes it's even earlier than that! ~Cora