Thursday, September 13, 2012

Try, try again...

We've tried several recipes for making homemade ketchup, all to nobody's complete satisfaction.  So, I'm trying yet another recipe right now, the recipe from my mom's "GAPS" cookbook.  I'll let you know later how we liked it.  :)

Mom and Andrew spent most of the day in Bismarck and are probably still there, as they attended the constitution class up there as well and then Andrew went to look at a computer that was for sale too.  My dad hauled hay home again.  Jacob took it easy and did some things around the house.  I went over and babysat Johanna and Tracy Jo until a little after 3, then came home and started on the ketchup and baked some ginger cookies.  I also boiled some potatoes and eggs and made potato salad for supper to go with the fry sausage and sauerkraut I fried.  Then, Jacob and I did some dishes to get the kitchen back in order after all of that. 

Random farm fact of the day:  The goats are giving more milk these days for some reason, so our kitties are happier, as we actually have some milk to spare now. 

3 comments:

Paula McGrew said...

Cora, here is a link to a ketchup recipe posted on a blog I read: http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/healthy-homemade-ketchup-finally

This gal tried for a long time, too, to find one she and her family enjoyed. I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know if it's any good or not, but maybe you guys will like it.

The goats and chickens didn't do much damage to the raspberry patch, but they certainly enjoyed themselves while nibbling leaves and eating the berries. The goats were busy trying to eat the grapevines last night while I was harvesting the clusters of fruit. They are very entertaining -- who needs to watch TV when there's so much action in the barnyard?!?

Take care.

Kimberly said...

If you find a recipe you like, let me know. I tried in vain in the past to find one my family liked. Finally I gave up on it.

Cora Beth said...

Thank you for sharing that recipe, Paula! :) I'm not sure yet if we like this recipe yet or not, as we had chicken enchiladas for supper and we don't put ketchup on that... It's good to have a backup plan though. ;)

I know! Who needs TV anyway, right? We don't watch television anymore, although we do watch movies some evenings.

Dear Kimberly,
I will let you know if/when we find a good recipe. I thought that you'd found one a while back? I've heard that, if you ever take a tour of a ketchup factory, you won't ever want to eat that ketchup again, so hopefully one of us will come up with something that tastes at least similar to "The real thing" soon. ;)