Sunday, October 21, 2012

Velvety Carrot Soup---with lumps.

After peeling and slicing several carrots this afternoon, I was trying to decide what to make with them and then remembered a recipe I'd seen in the Penzey's Spices catalog for carrot soup.  After the carrots and onions were cooked in the chicken broth and spices, you were supposed to grind it all up in a blender to make a velvety smooth soup.  However, our menfolk aren't all that fond of soup and prefer stew, so I left the chunks of carrots as they were and they said that the soup actually tasted better than it looked, which I think is progress? 

Let's see.....   What did we do today. 

Andrew's account is easy as he spent the whole day in Stan's combine again.

My dad checked cows this morning; changed the oil in my car; he and Jacob pushed Jacob's vehicle back in the shop (we'd pushed it out yesterday so we could set up the ping-pong table); he went over to Stans' farm and loaded up a load of sunflowers to take to Enderlin in the morning early; then he worked on setting up and starting his new used air-compressor which is very loud!

My mom, Jacob and I separated the several gallons of milk Andrew's been saving up for us the last few days and got 7 quarts of cream.  :)    My mom asked Jacob to whip up one of the quarts into whipped cream so we could make ice cream, but it had been so long since he'd done this that he actually started making it into butter after he added the honey and vanilla to it, SO, I finished whipping it into butter and now we have some sweet butter to use in things we don't mind being sweet!   I also added a pint of cream to the carrot soup.  Yummy!  We never did get our ice cream made though.

What else did we do?  Hmmmm....   Well, my mom did a session for a friend; worked on changing her Summer/Winter clothes around; I changed all of my dad's shirts around (from Summer to Winter); I baked a chocolate zucchini cake; we made hot chocolate for supper; Jacob and I played volleyball for a while after doing the evening chores together (I did all of the milking---the cow and goats, while he did everything else); I started our new batch of water kefir; we watched "What the Deaf Man Heard" this evening; I vacuumed out and washed (inside and out) my car; practiced my violin for a while and packed a bit for my vacation trip this weekend; Mom did a bunch of dishes; Jacob worked on his vehicle; Oh, and we tidied up the house a bit before my former-coworker, April came out for a little visit and to pick up the recommendation I'd written for her so she can go to school in Rome next year. 

Andrew just got home from combining about half an hour ago and is eating his supper.  Long days, but good days!

And now--------------it's family prayer time, so goodbye for now.

No comments: