Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Oh what a beautiful day...

There was almost no wind all day long and it was nice and warm, so it made for a great outdoors day!

My dad pressure-washed the tractor, van, and I think some other things and then worked on getting the hay head put on the tractor so it's ready for the busy season coming up.

The boys worked on various projects--Andrew worked on fixing a hole in a lawn-mower motor that someone gave to us (you'd have to ask him for the details, as I have no clue about that sort of thing!) and Jacob made a socket-holder by cutting several small pieces of copper pipe and putting them into a board. I'm sure they did many other things too that I'm not aware of...

Mom and I spent a couple hours in the garden this afternoon and got a lot of the potatoes weeded, (I think we still have 7 rows to go.) I also hoed in the corn rows and down some of the bean rows, but there's much more that needs doing....

This morning, Dad said we should get the 2 calves we're bottle-feeding out in some grass and sunshine, so we led/chased them out of the barn and into the pen with the geese. It's a good sized pen and, once the geese get used to having neighbors, things should work out well. John Wayne and Sammy really enjoyed all the room they have to run now.

I don't think I've mentioned that we've been getting some rain recently... It's amounted to a little over half an inch, so we're grateful for the moisture! We're also very glad that we didn't receive the downpour that Bismarck had--between 5 and 7 inches of rain! When it rains like that, it doesn't have time to soak into the ground and just floods everything.

My dad was happy to inform me that his "Garden" is up now too... When he went down to Kintyre, he was able to see rows of sunflowers poking their heads up out of the earth. Springtime is always so exciting, with all of the new life everywhere and with everything so green and vibrant. I just love it--even though it's a lot of work...

1 comment:

Elizabeth J. said...

Working outside with your family can be much fun.