Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Chamomile and cabbage...

Mother and I picked our Chamomile blossoms again, this time for our own use. :)

Then, we picked the 8 largest heads of cabbage and made them into 13 quarts of sauerkraut. Jacob was our shredder man...



We even had sauerkraut for supper (some that was left yet from last years' work.)

Later, after the cabbage project was finished, I started some milk warming for making yogurt with, and then I gave Jacob a haircut. I had hoped to do it outside, but just as we headed out, it began to rain, so we resorted to setting up barber-shop in the kitchen. Shortly after I finished with Jacob's "Shearing", Dad and Andrew returned from the hayfields out West and sat down for their haircuts too, Mom doing Dads' and me doing that other brother of mine's hair.


Please join us in praying for my dad as he has a very bad toothache and can hardly talk for all the pain it gives him. We're trying lots of natural things, but are concerned that he may have to have the tooth extracted, as it's hurt him for a couple days already and isn't getting better.......


Mother has really been enjoying the juicer she ordered through Dr. Mercola's website a couple weeks ago. She made a bunch of cabbage juice today and said it was good to drink------after she added a bit of salad dressing to it. :)


Before I go tonight, I want to point you all in the direction of an encouraging post over at "Every Thought Captive". It is about witnessing for our Lord and the opportunities that are all around us if we only have eyes to see and the courage to speak.


Be blessed~

Cora

4 comments:

Carra said...

Dear Cora,
Oh, I would love to have your saure Kraut recipe! Our always goes in a big crock with a water seal and all that... and it never turns out quite right....

Glad you got so much done yesterday, and I am praying for your Dad....

Thank you for always writing such nice posts. Be blessed.
Yours, Carra

Heather said...

Hi Cora!
The chamomile looks so pretty! I just love chamomile -it's good for so many things. I've been wondering, how much do you have to plant of it to be able to harvest a good amount? I've grown a little bit, but not enough to use.
I really enjoyed that post that you have the link to!
God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Good Evening Miss Cora Beth,

That's great that your family got 13 quarts of sauerkraut out of 8 cabbages. You mentioned that some of the sauerkraut you had for dinner was from last year...does you family can a lot of your vegetables? My mom has been canning green beans and making pickles the past couple of days. It has taken everything I have in me not to get into the pickles...they look so good!

I pray that you and your family have a wonderful day tomorrow. I will also be praying for you dad. I hope he feels better soon.

God Bless,
Josh

Cora Beth said...

~Dear Carra,
I will try to get our sauer kraut recipe posted here tomorrow, or at least in the near future. :) We have sometimes wished we had a crock to make it in, but the jars work very well and it's so nice to just go and pull a jar off the shelf whenever you want some kraut!
Thank you for your comment and for your prayers for my dad! I always look forward to hearing from you.


~Howdy Heather,
It was so good to hear from you again!
I planted our Chamomile patch using 1 packet of seeds (from Bountiful Gardens) in an area apprx. 3'x 3'. The Chamomile in the picture is the 2nd cutting (we got about that amount the first picking too), so depending on how much Chamomile you use, you can hopefully figure out how much you would need to plant for your family's needs. :) I just love how this little flower looks and SMELLS!
I'm glad that post was a blessing to you as well...

Hello Josh,
Yes, we do can quite a bit of our garden produce each year, although it doesn't ever seem to be enough for our family's needs. It helps a lot though! The sauer kraut doesn't actually need to be canned, so it is one of the easiest things to put up for the Winter. I'll be sharing our recipe soon...
As I have brothers, I can just imagine you sitting there, eyeing those pickle jars, mouth watering! :) I hope to make some pickle relish again this year, as that actually went over better with my family than the regular pickles did.
Thank you for your prayers too!!