Friday, August 5, 2011

A recipe for "Sauerkraut in Glass Jars"

Ingredients needed:

Firm cabbage
10 juniper berries OR 1 or 2 bay leaves (we've make ours with the bay leaves)
1 Tbsp. coarse sea salt per jar of cabbage
Hot water
1 quart glass jars with rubber seals

Scald the jars and rubber seals. Grate the cabbage and pack it firmly, adding some of the bay leaves or juniper berries as you fill them.
Top off each jar with 1 Tbsp. of coarse sea salt and a bit of hot, unchlorinated water. With very juicy cabbage, only a few spoonfuls of water are needed.
Close each jar with its rubber seal. Let stand for 2 to 3 days in the kitchen, the store in the cellar. Wait one month before eating.
M. M. Boulo says, "I've been using this method for four years. I'm very happy with it, and I've never lost a jar of sauerkraut yet. My sauerkraut keeps until the following summer and we even take some with us on vacation. It's very convenient and quite tasty. I prepare pickles in the same way, sliced if they are large, but stored in smaller jars."

Recipe taken from the helpful book, "Keeping Food Fresh".


Ours was a busy, productive day. Dad is feeling better now and was able to go over to the hay field with Andrew this time. PTL!

Meanwhile, Mother, Jacob and I cleaned the house and did more laundry; cooked up a tasty batch of "Gary's stew"; and I thoroughly cleaned the entryway, then baked bread and made caramel rolls.

After feasting, we played a game of Rook and then several rounds of Rummy. Then we visited for a long time in the living room before finally having family prayer time and heading for bed, which is why this is so late. :)

It would be fun to hear from any of you who try making sauerkraut using this recipe! We really enjoy eating sauerkraut (raw) with noodles or frying it up a bit with all-beef hot dogs. Now there's a yummy German dish for you!

When I think of sauerkraut, I think of Mylo Hatzenbuhlers' (or rather, Clyde Bowmans'--a ND song writer) silly song about Germans, especially the lines below:

(FYI: There are LOTS of Germans in this part of the world, us being amongst their numbers.)

".....Germans make real pretty girls,
And their polkas are the best in the world.
German cooking (pronounced "Cougging") is simply the best,
Who----else----could-----think-----of------sauerkraut?....." :)



~Enjoy your sauerkraut, however you make it!

6 comments:

Carra said...

dear Cora,
Thank you for that recipe.... :) It will be very helpful! So.
Now I use regular canning lids from the grocery store. Mine are metal with the build in rubber seal. Is that what you mean to use, and do you just close the top and don't seal it, like hot bath it or anything...

I have some German in my lineage too. My grandmother was German.
:) Well... be blessed everyone.
And I'm so happy your Dad is feeling better.
I'm still praying.
Love Carra

Cora Beth said...

Good morning Carra,
Yes, you use regular Ball or Kerr lids with the built in rubber seals. Sorry, I should have clarified that! Wash the top of the jars off to be sure there's no cabbage stuck to it before putting the lids on. :) Then shake it very well so as to distribute the salt throughout the jar. (Another important step I wasn't thinking about late last night and that wasn't in the recipe...) We learned somewhere else to not screw the band on very tightly at this point so as to allow some air to escape when it starts fermenting or else it will sometimes "Boil" over. Then, before after letting the jars sit on your countertop for 3 days, screw the lids on tight before putting the sauerkraut in storage. This recipe really is so easy as you do NOT need to can/hot water bath it at all, which means the resulting sauerkraut is so very healthy. We have had a few jars spoil in the past, but think it was due to lids that we've used over and over and over...... You can tell that it's spoiled when it turns a really slimy, dark brown and has mold on the top!

I hope this helps! :)

Have a wonderful day, and thanks so much for praying for my dad! He is doing so much better now (although will still have to have the tooth removed come Tuesday.)

Blessings and love,
~Cora

Dawn Bornemann said...

Germans make real pretty girls AND cooks! Your carmel rolls were so awesome, Cora!
Here's a GREAT BIG THANK YOU for cleaning up that dreadful entryway! WOW--it looks like people really live here again!
Love,
Mom

Carra said...

Dear Cora,
Thank you so much!

I'm so excited about the recipe. I can't wait to try it. :)

Love your friend, Carra

Kristi said...

I also just got some cabbage for making sauerkraut, so I was surprised to see you blogging the same. Must be that time of year.

I use the Nourishing Traditions recipe which is basically the same, except 1 T. caraway seeds instead of bay leaves and 4T. whey instead of hot water. But my recipe doesn't wait one month before eating.

I'm very happy with this easy method too because fermenting is so much healthier than canning. I also use it for making the Latin American sauerkraut (with carrots and onions). And I like Ginger Carrots using this same method.

I especially like using my sauerkraut for a recipe I make with lentils, oats and cheese.

I like your suggestion for three days with a looser lid for air to escape because I have had it "boil over" too.

I also have had a few jars spoil after opening, but I don't use mason jars. I've always used old jelly jars (without the canning lids) without a problem.

I've always thought spoilage was because of not leaving enough juice in the jar when I use the kraut at the top.

Glad to hear your dad's a little better and not having to lay around. I've been praying for him to be able to bear it until Tuesday. Such a long time to wait!

The K. Family said...

This is something I've really wanted to try for years but haven't. You've inspired me! Our family loves sauerkraut as well.