Friday, August 3, 2012

Chokecherry jelly...

It was a busy day on the farm for my brothers and I,  AND it rained for a while!  The boys worked in the shop and Andrew baled hay until it started sprinkling.  Then, they worked on fixing air- conditioning problems in vehicles.   I, meanwhile, cleaned the house (although Jacob did do the vacuuming) and made a strawberry fruit pizza and cooked a roast with (freshly dug) potatoes and carrots.  One of the potatoes was HUGE already, which is surprising, as we didn't get the potatoes planted very early this year, but I'm guessing all the watering we've done has helped.  I praise God for water, especially in the midst of a drought!

I decided to try to make chokecherry jelly again, this time using sugar, as the honey didn't make it set up last time.  Of course, last time I'd also tried making apple pectin from the green apples the wind has blown down from our trees, but I didn't really know what I was doing and what I ended up with was more of a thick chokcherry juice or a thin chokecherry sauce.  Today, however, Sarena L. stopped in after work to show me in person how to make the apple pectin.  I had cooked the apples already and drained the juice out, then she got the juice boiling and stirred and stirred it until it had cooked down considerably, testing it for done-ness in some rubbing alcohol.  She had to get going then, but shared her recipe for proportions, fruit-to-pectin-to-sugar, and it WORKED!   The jelly is quite thick and sticks to the spoon.  We had some for supper.  It will be neat to experiment with other kinds of fruit, using homemade pectin...

This evening, we watched the Olympics again.  It is so amazing what God has made the human body capable of!!!  

No comments: