Thursday, August 23, 2012

Straw piled high!

Mom and I bedded down the goats this morning.  My dad had said one of the round straw bales he'd made had broken strings on it, so we should use that one, so I went out and grabbed it tight with the 9030 and maneuvered it into the barn.  By the time we had the whole bale spread out, the straw was at least a foot deep all over.  Nice! 

Diane, a friend I first met while working at the nursing home, stopped in to return something to mother and she shared some of her home-grown melon and celery with us.  In return, we shared a couple bags full of apples and some swiss chard, which she said her husband loves. 

Mom and I cleaned and cooked and baked and made a list of all the things we still hope to accomplish tomorrow before company arrives.  I hope all goes as planned and that God will give us strength.  :)  I know He will. 

The guys are still gone at the wheat field up North, combining with 2 machines and baling the straw.  I have a homemade pizza in the oven for them whenever they get home. 

We're so excited for this weekend to come.  But, I think I've said that before!

1 comment:

Paula McGrew said...

Cora Beth, thanks for your message back to me. The Appleseed Shoot sounds like a lot of fun -- and I'll be thinking of you and your family this weekend. I wish we coudl be there but also have out-of-town company who will be visiting us. My husband and boys will be out of town with a men's church group during your Appleseed event in October, so we won't be able to make it to that either. Each year they go to a place up north of us called Adventurous Christians where they go boating and fishing and camping. This afternoon and evening we're volunteering at the Vinyard Church and helping with an event to support Seeds of Hope Youth Ranch which rescues horses and also helps juvenile delinquents get rehabilitated by working with the horses. For part of his 4-H participation, my son, Soren, volunteers there too helping with much out stalls, walking and feeding the horses, weeding, general upkeep, etc. The ranch is located about four miles north of where we live. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your weekend -- have fun! Could you also greet your family from me, even though they don't know me? God bless you!