Thursday, August 6, 2009

A recipe and pictures from yesterday...

Zucchini Granola Cookies~
(Sorry that this picture turned out fuzzy!)
3/4 cup butter (softened)
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar (or 3/4 cup honey)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
grated peel of 1 orange (I used lemon peel)
3 cups grated unpeeled zucchini
3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I made mine with freshly-ground whole wheat flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 cups granola
1 cup butterscotch or chocolate chips

Cream butter and brown sugar (or honey) in a large bowl. Add egg, vanilla, orange peel and zucchini. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt. Add granola and mix. Stir in chips (the batter will be sticky.) Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 8 dozen.


Here are my favorite pictures from yesterday... (My computer isn't letting me move the pictures around today, so they're a little mixed up.)

Jacob & I took turns reading from a book that's been in our family library for several years now, (it's called, "Irma's big lie") while Mother had her Chiropractic appointment.
Here are some calves that are in the process of being sold. I'm not sure if these are some of the ones we bought or not, as Mother was taking pictures of several of the batches.

If you look close, you can pick Jacob & I out of this "Crowd." (There's usually several more people than this at the sales, so this really is not a crowd!)
Here's the auctioneer, Pius and his assistant, Diane. And this one was of us looking at the calves before the sale to see which ones looked the healthiest...

We bought a total of 6 calves, as that's all that we have milk for currently. So far, they're all doing well and they're just SO cute!

This next paragraph doesn't really have much to do with calf buying, but I wanted to share the experience I had when going to pay for the calves, as I feel it's a good example of how, when we ladies dress femininely, it's more likely that we'll be treated like ladies...
Mother and Jacob dropped me off in front of the sales-barn, as they were going next door to the livestock supply place to buy some Pro-biotic paste (it has acidopholis, etc... in it) and some other supplies for our new calves. So, I was heading for the 2 sets of doors to go inside the building when I noticed an elderly man on the inside who was heading for the doors to exit the sales-barn. I saw him look at me and then smiled as I noticed him speed up his pace so that he'd be able to open the door for me! I smiled and thanked him and went on my way...
I also have a story to tell from yesterday about a lady who didn't take so kindly to being recognized as a woman...
My mom, Jacob and I went out for lunch yesterday (to Taco Johns)--something we VERY rarely do! As we were just starting to eat our meal, the following scene took place: A man was up by the counter, getting his food, and he happened to spill something. One of the employees close by (a woman) quickly and cheerfully cleaned up the mess with a cloth. The gentleman showed his appreciation by saying, "Thank you very much, Mam!" The woman glared at him and said, "Now watch that MAM stuff;" then she turned and abruptly left. We were all very surprised at how quickly her attitude had changed from sweet to sour! I feel sorry for guys now-days--living in a culture where you're not sure if your thoughtful gesture will be taken gratefully or if you'll get your head snapped off!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for this recipe Cora! I was going to ask you for it! he He! =:D

Aww, I hope they do well with you family! =:)

Blessings!
~Rachel~

Cora Beth said...

I hope they turn out well for you if you decide to make them and hopefully your family doesn't mind eating green cookies! :)

I just thought I'd let you know that I added a little more about our day at the bottom of this post--as I had a little more time because it's raining now.

Blessings on your day--the rest of it, that is,

Cora

Kimberly said...

I will have to try the recipe as Daniel and now Leah just love granola bars. I made some bars the other day and took a picture of them. When I get a chance I will post them on my blog and a link to the recipe. They turned out really well.

Thanks for sharing about being a lady.

*~Virginia~* said...

yum yummmmmm, they look good!
and I agree....this society is full of people who are trying to be people they're not. :-( Its very sad.