Wednesday, June 23, 2010

~Saturday at Prairie Days~

*Much of the credit for the pictures below goes to my mom and brother Andrew, who roamed the park over, snapping photos of, well, all kinds of things, as you shall see.....*


The annual Tug-of-War in the park...
This doggy got into a fight with another of its species, so there was a first aid demonstration for poor Lass shortly after we arrived at the Dagley farm...
(That's James Balyeat below--married last November in MT to Amanda Dagley.)
Steve S. giving his survival presentation...
Mr. & Mrs. Mark Dagley making announcements...
Andrew B.--videographer...
Many families shared music throughout the day...
(My friend, Crystal--mentioned further down--is on the far left in this picture.)

...The P. family filling the park with joyful, glorifying-to-God music...

Mrs. Dagley, tapping away...
(Doesn't it look a bit like she's flying, with her feet not even touching the ground?)
More announcements, with the engaged and soon-to-be-married couple...

Stilt walking and the log/rope game were parts of the fun...
Have YOU ever done lumber-jacking? It's hard work, so I'm told!

Young ladies tried their hand at it too...
More music...

Horse training demonstrations...

The biggest jump-rope I've ever seen!!!
And, if you run out of fun things to do, there's always some mud to play in... :)
Mr. L. talked about engine work...
A mother and her daughters, all dressed up for the occasion...
In the afternoon, there was a tea party for all the ladies...
Some of the Dagley, Balyeat and Stover ladies did a skit...
...and then we all sang a couple songs...
Mother and I at the tea party...
The Trading Post--where you can bring your dandelion jelly, and paper dolls, and other such intriguing things to try to sell or trade...
Making hair-bows for the wedding...
Then there was an hour for line dancing...
While that was going on, my brothers had some more group games for the younger people...
Run, run, run...
Mid afternoon, there was time set apart for the photo-shoot... One of my blogging friends asked where all these dresses came from, so I thought I'd answer here: A lot of the dresses were sewn by the Balyeat girls to be used as costumes while on their music-tours across the country. Many of the dresses also came from families who wanted to share them for the day--some being home-sewn and some being good deals found at second-hand stores!

This young woman was sewing squares of fabric together...
When there wasn't much else going on, many gathered around for a good game or two of volleyball...

After supper, it was time to head back for chores, for most of my family, that is. I was very excited when my family all said that I could stay there, if I had a place to sleep. I quickly found one in the big, girls' tent and was so happy to be able to stay over, as I've never done that before at Prairie Days and, consequently, I'd always missed the hayride.... (Note. There were so many people wanting to go on the hayride that they had to go twice!)
The hay-ride was lots of fun--especially since I got to sit by my friend, Crystal (who I only see once or twice a year) and visit all the way!
The weather was lovely and the sky was so beautiful, I just had to snap a picture of it...

That evening, I helped some of the young ladies bake their cakes for the dessert auction the next day. It got quite late, but there was lots of great fellowshipping going on.
Here is the bride-to-be, visiting with friends around 11:00 in the evening...
It was a cool night, so it was nice to be packed close in a tent with 10 other girls. The little girl I was laying next to woke me up in the middle of the night to inform me that all of her covers were gone. I covered her up with the big sleeping bag that was over the top of myself and the young lady on my other side, and she went right back to sleep. I didn't get back to sleep quite so quickly, as the coyotes began singing then, and the dogs that were in various areas of the park joined in....
Most of us woke up at 7:00 to get ready for the new day, which held a wedding and much more fellowshipping and fun.
But, that's for another days post!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, Cora! What a place to end! Right in the middle of everything!

Sounds as if you days were wonderful! It certainly sounds fun!

Can't wait for more posts!

Kimberly said...

Cora, that sounds like so much fun. Thanks for sharing all the pictures. Glad you were able to stay overnight.