Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What a great Wednesday!

It's late and we need to get up early to do our chores (as we were early tonight), but I'll give you a quick glimpse into our day...

This morning, our good friend Sarah and her 3 little children came to pick up the Azure order that I'd picked up for them while getting ours yesterday. We have many things in common with the K. family, so Sarah stayed a couple hours and visited (with mother mainly) on the swings while I played with the children--showing them the baby goats, chicks, and kittens, and trying to convince them that our dogs are really nice, friendly dogs and nothing they need to be afraid of. :) When the K.s left, they had many more items packed away in their van than when they arrived:

  • Their Azure order
  • A black kitten the children fell in love with

AND:

  • A jar full of Natural Leaven Starter!

Our afternoon was spent in doing many odd jobs, like:
  • Baking flat bread, buns, a loaf of bread, and making pancakes (all with natural leaven, of course)--the pancakes were tasty and the rest remains to be seen, as we weren't here for supper........
  • Jacob pulled a drag over the driveway many times to try to get it smooth
  • I planted pumpkins, Hubbard squash, and corn across the driveway from our garden; then reseeded our cucumbers which were doing poorly
  • Andrew mowed some more...
  • Dad cleaned grain for a farmer (I guess he's not done yet for the spring!)
  • Mom prepared for the second half of class and then was there all evening
  • Dad and we children went to the annual Farm Credit Services meeting/supper and enjoyed the meal and the music (Andrew liked the banjo playing the best, and I liked the song they did about North Dakota, USA)
  • Mom and I talked to Mrs. Dagley about the Prairie Day schedule. It's so hard to believe that it's only a little over a week away!

Speaking of Prairie Days, I don't think I've told you all yet that there's to be a wedding on the last day, did I? The Dagleys' son, Benjamin and my friend Hannah S. are getting married that day--right there on the family farm. This will be a memorable Prairie Days indeed! Want to come join us? :)

7 comments:

Hannah said...

Thought I'd tell ya I'm headin out to the berry patch with a bottle of Kombucha! YUM!!!

Did I spell Kombucha right?

Cora Beth said...

Hooray for you! I hope you enjoy it. :) (And yes, you did spell Kombucha right--or at least, you spelled it the way we spell it!)

Rachel said...

My busy girl! ;) HeHe! What a lovely day it sounds like you had though! :D Children are so sweet. :) Mmm, fresh bread...I haven't made any in quite awhile. If it's not to unbearably hot later this week, I might make some. ;) Lol!

Oh, I didn't realize you were having another prairie day already! Wow, where has the time gone? ;) That is great news about your friends! :D What a sweet wedding it will be, and yes, very memorable! :)

So glad to hear things are going well on the farm my dear! :)

Love and Hugs!!!!
~Rachel~

Miss Grace Elizabeth said...

What do you mean by "...the rest remains to be seen" ?
I am so glad that you are finding ways to use the leaven! Did you save out four cups and put it in the refrigerator?
We had the kombucha today and it was so yummy!
I put did jasmine green tea for the main tea, and pomegranate for the flavoring tea. It turned out so good! It almost has a raspberry taste!
~Grace

Hannah said...

Ah, good, I passed the spelling test :P

I hope you post some pictures of your baked goods! It sounds like you are having so much fun baking it all! I wish I could do it with you :) I have a thing for baking and cooking- we all do (which might be kind of obvious) Sometimes we are all in the kitchen cooking up lots of laughter :) it's so fun!
Prairie Days is only in a little over a week? Oh dear, I'd best start runnin down the NCT!
hahahaha,
Hannah

Cora Beth said...

Grace~
I just meant that it ramained to be seen if we liked the flavor of the buns, bread, etc... as we hadn't tasted it yet. :) It's actually pretty sour, but I think that may be because I let it set for the whole week, whereas it sounds like you usually make your bread after 4 days of adding to the leaven? Does it get more sour the longer it sets--like the Kombucha does?
Thanks for your comments everyone, and Hannah, yes, please do start running. :) Pack lots of strawberries for your journey too....

Hannah said...

Strawberries? I don't think so! Why I'd never make it even to the UP that way :) haha I can't even think about eating a strawberry right now but then when I'm picking I do :P