Saturday, May 2, 2009

On flowers, presses, and pressed flowers...

For my birthday this year, my brothers made me a beautiful flower-press...





The first flowers I pressed with it were the Crocus my dad and brother brought home. The flowers turned out flat alright, but I had failed to read flower-pressing-instructions before doing it and consequently, my flowers have dark lines running through them from the newspaper I had put them in between! I have since learned that, it's good to use nespaper for layering to absorb the moisture in the flowers, but you need to put clean, white paper directly around the flowers so they don't absorb the ink from the newspaper... It's always so helpful to read directions before making mistakes, but I guess sometimes I just have to learn the hard way. :)


Here is a picture of my press, filled properly this time with rose petals from my grandma's funeral...


...If you look closely here, you can see the darker lines running through the petals (from the ink on the newspaper)...



Remember to read the directions today~ (I'll try to remember also!)

No comments: