I just got home from working in town again a little bit ago and don't know what to write tonight, so I thought I'd share these interesting, though maybe not useful, facts that we got in an e-mail the other day... :)
1. It's possible to lead a cow upstairs, but not downstairs.
2. Pearls melt in vinegar.
3. The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy
dog" uses every letter in the alphabet.
4. The only 15-letter word that can be spelled without
repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable."
5. "Stewardesses" is the longest word that is typed with
only the left hand.
6. No word in the English language rhymes with month,
orange, silver, or purple.
7. A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.
8. The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from
the days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses. The
horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how
to walk up straight staircases.
9. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
10. Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence
on July 4th, 1776: John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of
the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't
added until five years later.
11. An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
12. The longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen
13. The name "Jeep" came from the abbreviation used in the
army for the "General Purpose" vehicle, G.P.
14. The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the
lowest point in Colorado.
15. Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.
16. If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four
pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of
money in coins without being able to make change for a
17. Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or
18. The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually
indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they
could be confused at a crime scene.
19. The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile
in every five must be straight. These straight sections are
usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.
20. There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
AND, ONE OF MY FAVORITES:
21. Snails can sleep for three years without eating.